Friday, January 29, 2010

IMEA Conference Day 2 Clinic 2

I wish someone actually read these except for myself, but at least I'm creating a resource for myself. This section is all about being student-centered while teaching a performance based class.

Intergrating a Student-Centered Instructional Style within a Performance-Based Band Rehearsal" Clinician Dr. Joseph Manfredo and Mr. Matt Temple

This isn't about our conducting this is about our teaching. We have to intuitive and flexible. There are multiple styles. We facilitate because the class should be "student-centered" not "student-led". How do we bring effectiveness in our classrooms? Tell me...

Exploring our relationship with students in an ensemble. They are dependent on us(play that note longer), then collaborative(how can we shape this phrase), and if they're really learning independent(and in to it!)
We're watching a video of Matt Temple from New Trier HS teaching. He just had the band listen to a percussion opening facing forward, now he's making them name(catalog) what they heard. I think this would work for me. This was more student-led than we just talk at them(do this. play that.)

I like this thought, "we have four years to create musicians who can think critically, not just burn out by repeating music until it's a great performance" Matt says, it's messy and out of our comfort zone as students and teachers, but worth it. Fast is slow. Slow is fast. When we help our students to understand it takes time at first, but as we move to the next concert it's faster because the learning curve is faster. They don't need us as much. That's the mark of a good teacher right? That the student no longer needs the teacher.

So what they seem to be saying is that I need to be able control gesture, evaluate aurally, and ask question. The director is a facilitator, not a dictator. We need to create an environment that keeps people engaged. Students have all the answers, kids are kids wherever you go...tap their potential! EVERY student must make independent descisions. For me this means don't call on Kelli E or Kristin W :)

How do I create discovery-based organic, authentic learning?
- Ask them questions about why the composer wrote what they wrote? How do you think this phrase should go? Which accent do you think will be the strongest? Let's have some comments about how they phrased this.
- Rephrase your statements as questions.
- Make eye contact. Look right at people not generally, in the eyes.
- Teach be contrast. To fix the balance play with bad balance, etc...
- Be honest, but not mean. They need a gauge or a benchmark.
- Ask guided question, zigzag with the students, but have your goal in mind.
- Develop your interpretation, but don't be afraid to let students have input and ask them how did they arrive at that answer? It's important to have a unified interpretation, not always mine ideas.
- Not rights or wrongs, but justification for their ideas.
- Deflect questions to sections who aren't playing, even if you're working one group engage others.

It's interesting because I feel like I know this stuff, but I just don't implement it. Stupid Freesen, why don't we just do the right thing all the time?

Discovery based activities:
Periods of ambiguity - They have to feel like they can take risks(student and teacher)
Not fear based, let them be open and honest.
You have to balance. director leads, students lead. Seamlessly through the rehearsal.

They say these things will help our students retain. I just can't get people quiet enough to ask a lot of questions, kids are kids...but why can't I get mine quiet enough to realize the music we're doing is cool even if it's not "Crazy Train" sigh...I'm finding this one to be a little tough to swallow because I feel like I'm not doing enough. To self-evaluate I feel like part of it is that I don't relate as well to younger students. Does that make me lesser or just not quite in the right gig for me?

Primary Motto: Ask, Don't Tell.

No comments: