Saturday, July 4, 2009

Birthday Trip

It's been a great first trip of the Summer for us! Jes and I are both busy with rehearsals for Seussical(I'm serving as the Musical Director, while she is on stage as the Amazying Mayzie). However, we got the night off for her birthday so I planned a secret getaway for her 24th birthday.

I picked Galena, IL because Jes is really into history. Well maybe not so much history, but she likes things that are pretty and natural like all the rolling hills, ivy, and limestone walls. She also likes row houses so pretty much any historic downtown is going to be neat to her. I'd never been there so I did some searching on http://www.galena.org/. I found some great little events for our whirlwind vacation.

We left early Thursday after I ran down to Panera to grab breakfast and her favorite sweet treat, the frozen caramel coffee. The trip up was non-descript, but once we hit town I knew I'd picked the right place. Main street was perfect. Lines of old buildings holding restaurants and shops.

We had a great time escaping for the day and a half. We walked Main Street, checked out shops, ate some great food, toured a winery, did a wine tasting, took a trolley tour, and enjoyed our first stay at a Bed and Breakfast.

We tried to take quite a few pictures so I will let a slideshow tell our story. You can also view the pictures on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/KFreesen/

Here's a slideshow of our pictures from the trip.


Hope you are enjoying your Summer!

No comments: